LOS ANGELES COUNTY — Cinco de Mayo has become a joyous day for many Angelenos to honor and celebrate Mexico’s victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Cinco de May is a day to honor the heritage and pride of Mexicans throughout North America. Unfortunately, it is also a night with unnecessary dangers when community members decide to drink and drive. Party hosts, bars and restaurants this year are encouraged to plan and promote designating sober drivers in advance – before the ‘Fiesta’ begins.
To ensure a safe and festive Cinco de Mayo, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) recommends the following tips:
• Plan a safe way home before the festivities begin;
• Designate a sober driver;
• Leave your car keys at home;
• Call a taxi, call a friend or family member, or use public transportation to ensure you get home safely;
• Call 911 if you see a possible drunk driver on the road; and,
• Take the car keys away from someone who is about to drive impaired and assist them in getting home safely.