Here’s the latest update about the Hollywood Bowl Summer Season 2011:
• Friday, June 24 – An evening with a “Grease Sing-A-Long.” This fun-filled evening will feature a pre-show costume parade and screening of the beloved film on the Bowl’s giant screen. 7:00 p.m. is the pre-show and film follows at 8:30 p.m.
• Sunday June 26 – The biggest names in Japanese pop music will be gathering for this once-in-a-lifetime concert. Electric-pop YMO returns for their first LA appearance since 1979, a Cibo Matto reunion, Buffalo Daughter and Towa Tei. The evening features traditional kabuki dance, taiko drumming, and much more.
• Saturday, Sunday, and Monday July 2, 3, and 4 – The annual “July 4th Fireworks Spectacular” with special guests Daryl Hall and John Gates who are joining the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra conducted by Thomas Wilkins. Be prepared for a night of classic hits, plus spectacular fireworks and good old-fashioned American music to celebrate the USA’s 235th birthday.
• Friday and Saturday, July 8 and 9 – The Los Angeles Philharmonic with David Newman conductor will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the film version of “West Side Story.” The LA Phil will play Leonard Bernstein’s electrifying score and memorable songs with lyrics by Stephen Sondheim. The re-mastered film will be shown in high definition on the Bowl’s big screen with the original vocals and dialogue intact.
• Friday and Saturday July 15 and 16 – Sarah McLachlan performs for the first time in the legendary Bowl. Sarah will be celebrating her recent release, “Laws of Illusion,” which highlights her dream ballads and lifting vocals.
Performing with her will be the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, conducted by Thomas Wilkins.
• Friday and Saturday July 22 and 23- Dolly Parton, the Queen of Country Music, will be making her bowl debut in this extraordinary concert. Ms. Parton will be celebrating over 45 years of hit songs and the release of her new record. It will be a dazzling night of all-Dolly.
• Friday and Saturday July 29 and 30 – “Michael Feinstein and the Singing Stars of Television.” This evening will find a dazzling parade of classic and popular songs from the Great American Songbook — from Gershwin and Berlin to New Orleans jazz and Broadway musicals. Special appearances by Florence Henderson, Cheyenne Jackson, Dick Van Dyke, Vanessa Williams and others who, along with the Los Angeles Philharmonic with jack Everly conductor, will highlight the evening’s entertainment.
• Friday and Saturday August 5 and 6 – The cast of “Hairspray” has not been announced. But, the Bowl’s annual fully-staged Broadway musical of this hit will take you on a trip down the irresistible musical lane of 1962 Baltimore with this 2003 winner of eight Tony awards. The evening’s program is based on the classic film by John Waters.
• Friday and Saturday August 12 and 13 – The celebration of the passion and rhythm of the guitar is the theme of tonight’s Hollywood Bowl program.
Starring Rodrigo y Gabriela, the Mujeres de Agua featuring Javier Imon and Bulka along with the Los Angeles Philharmonic conducted by Miguel Harth Bedoya will present an evening of sounds of flamenco inspired.
• Friday and Saturday August 19 and 20 – John Mauceri returns to the podium to conduct the Los Angeles Philharmonic in presenting Walt Disney’s “Fantasia.”
The evening promises selections from the Disney masterpiece will be shown
on the Bowl’s giant film screen. The evening will end with fireworks that will complement the spectacular beauty of this Disney film.
• Friday and Saturday July 26 and 27 – “John Williams: Maestro of the Movies” along with the Los Angeles Philharmonic plus actor Morgan Freeman as a special guest. Williams is returning with a program of great film music, including selections from some of his most popular scores. Academy Award-winning actor Morgan Freeman will be narrating Williams Suite from THE REIVERS. A special night of movie magic!