Ask Government George
Ask Government George
Ask Government George


Dear Government George, how do I get a Social Security card?


To protect your personal information and prevent identity theft, the Social Security Administration (SSA) cannot issue Social Security Numbers (SSN) or cards online. For more information, please contact the SSA at 1.800.772.1213. TTY users may call 1.800.325.0778. Please view the information on the documents you will need to apply along with information on how to apply for a SSN or card. All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. Social Security cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. If you are a noncitizen living in the United States, you also may need a SSN.

If you are temporarily in the United States to work, please see Foreign Workers and SSNs. In order to claim a dependent on your tax return your child needs an SSN. The easiest time to do this is when you give information for your child’s birth certificate. If you do not yet have proof of your child’s citizenship, special rules apply for foreign-born adopted children that allow Social Security to assign a number based on documentation issued by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) upon the child’s arrival in the U.S.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *