Ask Government George
Ask Government George
Ask Government George


Dear Government George, do you know anything about Birth Certificates and where one goes to obtain one?


Well, pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Section 103526 only specific individuals are allowed to receive an Authorized Certified Copy of a birth, death or marriage record. An Authorized Certified Copy of a birth record is required to obtain a driver’s license, passport, social security card and other services related to an individual’s identity. Please see below for list of authorized individuals.

Those who are not authorized may receive an Informational Certified Copy with the words “Informatinal, not a Valid Document to Establish Identity” imprinted across the face of the copy. Informational copies are not available same day. They will be mailed within 15 working days.

Individuals permitted to receive an Authorized Certified Copy :

* The registrant or a parent or legal guardian of the registrant

* A party entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or a licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code

* A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business

* A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant

* An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant’s estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant estate Records are available for births occurring in Los Angeles County since 1866.

An Authorized or Informational certified copy of a birth record will be provided for an $19 fee per copy. The fee is nonrefundable; a “No Record Statement” will be issued if the record is not found. To request copies please submit an Application for Birth Record (for mail only). You must also submit a notarized Certificate of Identity . Include a pre-addressed stamped envelope with your request. (Check out for more info)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *