Ask Government George
Ask Government George
Ask Government George


I lost my social security card a few years ago and didn’t do anything about it – should I report that I lost it? How do I get a new card? -Mary, Sherman Oaks


If you have lost your card, you may apply for a replacement but Social Security takes no action just because it has been lost. Reporting a lost card to them will not prevent its misuse. A person using your card or number can get other personal information about you and apply for credit in your name. So even if you don’t suspect any identity theft, it is a good idea to protect yourself and your financial health.

You should check your Social Security record (call toll-free 1-800-772-1213; TTY 1- 800-325-0778) to ensure your income is calculated correctly; and monitor your credit reports. In most cases, the only time you will need to produce your card is when you apply for employment, so if you anticipate starting new employment, you should request a replacement card in advance. You can replace your card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime, with a few exceptions.

You can apply online to get a new card by visiting Social Security Online,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *